Friday, June 24, 2011

Mud

Back in the garden. After two days of rain, it was cold and misty out yesterday but perfect weather for weeding. It’s good to have wet soil while weeding because it keeps the crops happy through the trauma of having their roots a little disturbed. Sorta like giving a kid an ice cream cone after a scraped knee I guess. Also, it made the ground nice and soft and easy to poke around in for roots of the weeds. I weeded by hand in the morning and got covered in mud! My dress was too long and I spent the morning in fear that I would trip and land face first in the carrot bed. In the afternoon I switched to weeding with a hoe a border along the main walkway which had grown out of control. That was pretty much the whole workday. Not very exciting but it was satisfying to have gotten so much done at the end of the day. As I was leaving, the girls at the dye station called me over to join them in roasting marshmallows over their fire pit, after closing time of course. It was funny to see the mix of people in modern and 19th century clothes eating marshmallows and hanging out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment