Friday, June 17, 2011

Long, Wet Week

It’s been raining this week which I think is great. I love the rain. Most everyone else, though, doesn’t seem to feel the same. It has also been a very long week, hence my lack of posts lately. Sorry! I’ve been getting home exhausted, just ready to eat some dinner, relax and get some sleep.
Here’s the rundown of my week:
Monday- Museum Education. I greeted buses in the morning and spent the afternoon working on projects to get ready for camp. It was pretty stressful because even though Kathy had tried explaining them to us last week, once we got started working we found we had a lot of questions but it was Kathy’s day off.
Tuesday- Garden Training. This is when rain started being no fun: no one else wanted to be outside in it. So garden training turned into tours of the gardens and hidden supply stashes with most of the explanations done inside. There was so much to remember, I’m glad I don’t need to! Most of the training covered the center village gardens which are mostly flowers. I’m not scheduled to work in those and the more I learned about flowers, the more I was convinced that they are generally more effort than they’re worth! Haha! I guess it’s good I’m working in a kitchen garden and it will be great to be able to explain the differences.
Wednesday- Back to Museum Ed for more of the same. We were able to talk to Kathy and get some clarification on our projects, which was great. Also, the woman who taught our garden training lent me a book about bugs and gardening which was a perfect resource for my “Good Bug, Bad Bug” project.
Thursday- School house and Knitting Training. We spent the morning learning about the school house. It was mostly reading but it was nice that Anne let us read on our own and then come back with questions. In one training, our trainer read the handouts aloud to us and I really preferred Anne’s approach. In the afternoon we practiced knitting. Of the 6 of us, only 2 had never knit before so it was nice for them to have so much attention from Anne to help them learn while the rest of us worked on our samplers. The downside was that we were working with size 0 needles! I’ve never worked on anything smaller than a 3 before so this was a challenge. I was so impressed with the girls knitting for the first time to be learning on such small needles. We need to complete samplers of at least 6 specified stitches before we can work on projects. It was slow work with such small needles but would you believe that after 4 hours, I went straight to the local yarn store to get myself supplies to learn to knit socks? I felt like I needed to knit something for me in a fun color after handling the itchy wool and doing boring squares. I’m working on a pair of rainbow socks at home. In the village, I have to use village yarn and needles and work on period appropriate projects while will become OSV property. The first project I get after my sampler is a pair of fingerless gloves.  
Today was the rainiest day. I forgot to mention that yesterday was beautiful. Today, I was lucky to have kept my rain coat and umbrella in the car because it was nice out when I left my sister’s but by time I got to OSV it was raining steadily. We greeted busses and it was one of the busiest days I’ve seen. There were probably almost 2000 students here today! All my bus driver tickets and maps got soggy, not to mention my pants! Most of the teachers and bus drivers were patient and polite though which was a huge help. Sometimes drivers can be pretty rude and it always makes my job much more pleasant when everyone’s in a good mood.
This afternoon I worked on projects and finished a few which was nice. Next week I’m interpreting in the village all week! I’m so excited!! For now though, I’m hoping for a quiet and relaxing weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment